Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 41 - 43 Mile 537-578

Alright! Back on the road again. On the Morning of Friday June 8th, Beau and I arose at 5:30 am to get me into the Fox 12 station for their morning show. At 7:15 I was in the station and ready to go. Kevin, one of the producers in training got me mic’ed up and down to the set where Kristin Courtial, Shayne Wells, and Nate Kuester along with a few camera people and technicians were smoothly and joyfully waking up Treasure Valley (South Western Idaho). Theses fine professionals were so at ease and so in-tune with the entire operation that they made what was going on at a dizzying pace appear easy. The studio was not all that large but it was designed perfectly to allow the reporters to move around at ease and always be where they needed to be. The teleprompters were very cool and all the reporters had rehearsed their scripts I assume and their delivery was flawless and they always knew what was coming up next... I know this seems basic but to watch it in action is really quite amazing. Now it was time for me to get up on set in front of the camera. I lugged my pack and walking stick up there with me and sat down thinking I would have a few minutes to go over the questions and get prepared... but here comes the on in 3 - 2 - 1 and we were live... It was very cool. I started off great explaining that I was walking cross country etc. I did however stumble up once and lost track of what I was saying and repeated myself on “exploring the gradients” but When I looked to Kristin she just smiled and said its OK and put me right at ease... I don’t know if reporters have training on how to get their interviewees through freeze ups but she was great and I recovered and we chatted, live, on air, with maybe a hundred thousand people watching for another several minutes. Though out the rest of the show they made references to the walk and interacted with me off camera and then had me come up to do the show closing with them. I just had too much fun. This news team was so warm and genuine and their whole approach was so personable... It was Great! After the Show, Beau gave a pair of Z-coils to Kristin and it looks like he will be a guest on the show next week talking about Z-Coils. Once I get a copy of the show I will post it on the site for you all to watch. Thank you so much Kristin, Nate and Shayne!

We returned to Beau’s home to pick up a wonderful lunch that Beau’s wife Lynn had made for me to send me on my way. I bid farewell to Lynn, Lydia, and David. Beau drove me to the edge of Boise where I would resume my walk East. I really enjoyed my time with Beau and his family and cant wait for them to come and visit with my family when I complete the walk. Thank you Beau for your friendship and hospitality.

I had Eggs Benedict at the Kopper Kettle Cafe before getting back on the road. They had WiFi at the Cafe so I downloaded a new set of Audiobooks to listen to. I got the Bible read by James Earl Jones, “The Assault on Reason” by Al Gore, and “This I Believe” a series of essay from This America Life. People were already recognizing me and wishing me luck after having seen me on TV. Now for the first time in the walk, Hwy 20 merged up with a Freeway and I would have to walk along interstate 84 for the next 40 miles. The freeway is noisier than I am used to and I am a bit out of shape from the break for my Cousin Heather’s Wedding... but along I go. I am still getting used to the new insoles that got in Boise which are designed to give my big toe freer motion and I am in some pain but it will pass. The freeway doesn’t have as good of places to sit and rest as does the highway but its still enjoyable to just sit along the road and I have a great sandwich to enjoy so I am very happy (thanks Lynn). I want to thank Jarrod and his mom who pulled over on the side of the freeway to contribute Cold water and $20 bucks to WFP... they had seen me on TV this morning. As I got to my destination for the evening, the Boise Stage Shop 17 miles outside of Boise, I met Doug and Roger who had also seen me on TV and pulled over to visit and to bring me water and beef jerky! I went into the Stage Shop restaurant and had fish and chips. I visited with Evelyn and her friend (if you read this email me your name:-) and had a nice evening before heading out to the grass behind all the long hall trucks to set up my tent.

Saturday- Wrapped up camp and went back in and had some hashbrowns, grapefruit, and some of my moms homemade banana bread. Evelyn was working again and she told me to go to her husband’s Mexican restaurant in Mountain home when I get there in the evening. On my way out I met Bob and Linda Braswell who had also seen me on TV and they wished me good luck on my travels. I pushed along through the morning heat and went through lots of water. in the afternoon it cooled down and became overcast. I walked along listening to my audiobooks and enjoying being back on the road. I got buzzed by a Rattlesnake and proved than man can fly without wings. My reflexes served me well and so did the Rattlesnakes. He gave me fair warning and I respect him for that. Once I was out of range, him and I looked at each other for a brief moment as he stood coiled up watching me. About half an hour later Officers Cathy and Ferrell of the Mountain Home Police pulled up. They were very kind and I told them about my cross-country walk. They told me that someone had called in and reported that someone was jumping into traffic on the Freeway. apparently someone had seen me jump from the snake and had gotten the wrong idea... anyways the officers and I got a good laugh from the whole thing and they wished me well. I was grateful to know that if ever I was in trouble that help would be close by... Thanks guys! I made it to the first Mountain Home exit and went in to the Mexican restaurant Evelyn had recommended and had myself a Vegi-Burrito. I camped out at an RV park next door and the Camp hosts Dave and Wanda had seen me on TV and gave me permission to camp out for the night... Thank you!

Sunday- It rained and rained and blew and blew last night. I ate banana bread in the tent. The rain didn’t stop till after noon and I pushed out right when there was a break in the rain. I got back on the freeway for my last 5 mile stretch till I was back on my good ole Hwy 20. I exited the freeway and went in for salad bar at AJ’s family restaurant. The wind was picking up again and I was sure it was going to be a cold and rainy night so I decided to check the rate of the hotels. I felt it would be a good opportunity to upload some photos and writings to the website and to stay out of the elements. Samantha at the Sleep Inn was so kind to give me a great discount when I told her about the walk. So here I am updating the site instead of sleeping or watching TV! Geez... the things I do for you;-)

Check out the photo page!

1 comment:

SeaLionWoman said...

Hello Alborz, wanted to check in and say hi! HAppy to hear about your interview in Boise!

I just went hiking in Big Bear along the PAcific Crest trail, and of course I was thinking of you. After 9 miles I was tired. Make sure you are taking care of your feet. Get often foot massages. :)

So I just officially finished my Teaching yoga traning!! Whew who...! or "Wahee Guru" as us yogis like to say!!
Funny to hear about your encounter with the rattlesnake, I'm keeping my eyes peeled out where we live bc they are popular beauties.
Well, take care of you...You are awesome awesome awesome!!!! much love, Vanessa

MySpace Tracker